FreeCAD is an important software for professional engineers, architects, graphic designers, and animators. It’s an open-source 3D parametric modeler specifically created to design the objects of real life in any size as a model. Parametric modeling enables the users to modify their designs easily by going back to the history of the model and just changing the parameters according to the requirement.
FreeCAD enables the users to sketch their base in the form of geometric 2D shapes and build other objects on that base. The software has several tools that help in adjusting the dimensions or extracting the details of design from 3D models so high-quality drawings that are ready for production can be created. FreeCAD is compatible with multiple platforms including Mac, Linux, and Windows Operating System. It is a highly extensible and customizable software. It has the capability to write and read many formats of open file such as IGES, SVG, STL, STEP, OBJ, DXF, DAE, IFC and many more. This empowers the users to smoothly integrate the program with their workflow.
This software is designed by keeping various needs in mind that are related to architecture, mechanical engineering, and graphic designing. The features and tools are equally instrumental for professionals and for hobbyists as well. FreeCAD is adorned with all the right features to fulfill the need of the right user. The modern FEA (Finite Element Analysis) tools, BIM, experimental CFD, Geodata and Path workbenches, a robot simulation module to provide the study of robotic movements and a lot more is offered by this software. FreeCAD is an all in one software so engineers architects and designers don’t have to look elsewhere to design to their purpose.
A geometry kernel based on completely Open CASCADE Technology is part of the software that allows users to perform complex 3D operations on complex shape types. It also supports concepts such as brep (Boundary Representation), NURBS (Non-uniform rational basis spline) curves and surfaces and boolean operations. Another feature of the software is that whatever users do in FreeCAD interface that executes python code which is printable on console and is recordable in macros. These can also be edited if required and can also be saved to reproduce later.
The user interface is based on Qt and can be completely accessed through Python interpreter. The users can perform all the operations on graphic user interface including creating, modifying, adding, removing or docking toolbars and widgets. There are many useful operations that can be done in this software such as the function of the Undo and Redo framework. Everything can be undone and redone with users’ access to undo stack to undo multiple steps at a time.
FreeCAD can also perform operations such as translation, scaling, rotation, mirroring, shape conversion and much more in any plane of a 3D space. It can do constructive operations of solid geometry as well such as union, intersect and difference. It can be conveniently concluded that FreeCAD is an all-inclusive must to acquire software for hobbyists and pros related to the field of architecture, engineering, graphic designing and animating.
- Designed for parametric 3D modeling.
- Designs can be modified by changing parameters in the history of models.
- Creates 3D from 2D and back.
- Flexible, accessible and integrated.
- Compatible with multiple operating systems including Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Reads and writes in many open file formats.
- Contains Geometry kernel based on Open CASCADE technology.
- Contains Robot stimulation module to study robotic movements.
- Everything is recorded in Macros as Python code to be edited or to be reproduced later as per need.
- Qt-based interface.
- Annotations can be done for text or dimensions.
- topological components such as vertices, wires, edges, and planes.
- Allows Undo and Redo functions.
- Capable of making models with straight or revolved extrusions, sections, and fillets.
- Performs functions including translation, scaling, mirroring, rotation, etc.
- Performs constructive solid geometry operations including union, intersect and difference.